Pimp my prose

The first chapter of my serial novel, Mr. Abernathy, is available for download today.

Now, I’d just like to say up front that I am terrible at self-promotion. It feels like sales to me, and I can’t stand salespeople.

Most of you likely already know about this book, but some of you may not. Either way, I’d really appreciate your help in promoting it if you enjoy the work, or know someone who would. I’m doing this project entirely on my own, strictly for fun as a one-off effort, with no paid or publisher-backed marketing or promotion of any kind. I’m depending exclusively on word-of-mouth buzz to spread it around, because it won’t be any fun for me to keep doing it if I don’t get a large enough reader base.

So I’m asking my current audience to pimp it out for me a bit. First of all, download and read the damn thing. If you like it, then mention it during your podcast, talk about it to your friends, throw a link my way from your blog or whatever site you have influence over. Tie a note on a helium balloon and launch it into the air. Write it in Sharpie on the forehead of a passed-out hobo. Whatever. I just need your help getting some critical mass around this project. You’re all amazingly talented people who I respect and admire (yes, even you), and with your help I think this could be a big success. I’ll even bake you cookies1.

Now get out there and pimp my prose, peeps. I thank you for it from the bottom of my poor, abused keyboard.

1. No, I won’t bake you cookies. But I will buy you a drink next time I’m in your city. Pinkie-swear.
posted 10/1/08 at 11:40am to Books, Me me me, Writing · 9 replies · »

9 replies to “Pimp my prose”

1. Alan McCoy said:

Very nice work, Tony. To celebrate, I’ve started taking all my drinks with no ice.

Keep ’em coming.

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:09pm
  2. vkf said:

Being retired, I have plenty of time to pursue my favorite hobby – reading. I randomly select most of my reading material these days from our clubhouse menagerie of books people that have read and then donated. When I have read the prologue and the first chapter, I either feel compelled to continue on to the next chapter or to return the book (these days, I don’t feel guilty for not giving the entire book a chance if I don’t want to – a perk of old age). In the case of Mr. Abernathy, I definitely want to know what happens in chapter 2. So get crackin’ at it. Please.

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:49pm
  3. Holden Helena said:

Congratulations Tone.

Maybe one day our collaboration will look almost as nice.

xx

Oct 2, 2008 at 7:13pm
  4. Kathy said:

Wow – I love it! But I don’t want to wait for the succeeding chapters!

Can’t wait to read more.

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:22pm
  5. Nic Fit said:

Pimpin it out all over the Roc. You know it;)

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:29pm
  6. Josh Hopkins said:

Excellent work! Thank to you and Mr. Abernathy, I have decided to pursue my Associates Degree in Advanced Magnetic Torpedo Navigation.

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:09pm
  7. badkitty_ said:

Hi Tony, I really enjoyed Chapters 1 and 2! Looking forward to more. :)

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:09pm
  8. badkitty_ said:

Oh! Also, I’ll pimp it on my “other” twitter account. I have some ppl on that one with 5,000 followers so the word will get out more.

How do you stay on deadline for each chapter? Of course, your new keyboard is apparently not helping. :o)

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:47am