BOO – It’s Christmas

“There’ll be scary ghost stories and tales of the glories of Christmases long, long ago..”

So goes a lyric we all know from the Andy Williams song “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year”1. We’ve sung it in school, we’ve caroled it at home, we’ve heard it every damn Christmas our whole damn lives. It’s still a lovely classic, though.

But what’s the deal with the ghost story part? Scary ghost stories? Are you fucking kidding me? Have none of you ever stopped to wonder what that’s all about?

Perhaps it’s just that I grew up in some oddball part of the country where this Christmas tradition never took hold. But I doubt it.

Other than the ghosts in A Christmas Carol, did you ever sit around and tell ghost stories at this time of year? I didn’t think so.

1. Written in 1963 by Eddie Pola and George Wyle, in case you were wondering. Which I’m sure you weren’t.
posted 12/9/08 at 3:34pm to Slightly Too Long For Twitter, WTF? · 8 replies · »

8 replies to “BOO – It’s Christmas”

1. Alan McCoy said:

Actually, I think the line refers to the British Victorian era tradition of telling ghost stories on those cold and blustery wintry nights when curling up by a warm fire provided the perfect setting to get the shit scared out of you.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:12pm
  2. Holden said:

Well, hey, my family went ghost hunting the day after Thanksgiving. But we’re a bit odd.

You make a good point.

I propose you write us all a ghost story for our Christmas present!!! Yay!!!

xx

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:09am
  3. brickgrrl said:

I think Alan is correct.

And- yes, Tony-
    do tell us a scary story!

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:22am
  4. Tony said:

*sigh*.. Like I have time to write stories-on-demand for you people?

But, since it is Christmastime and I am contractually obligated to be nice, I will do just that.

Ghost story forthcoming. Please stand by…

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:55am
  5. badkitty_ said:

Unrelated: Sent you a couple of emails.

And am now expecting a ghost story!

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:52am
  6. Links for Monday, Dec. 8 - Monday, Dec. 15 | mindpollution.org said:

[…] delgrosso dot com » BOO – It’s Christmas – I wasn't even aware those were the words to the song. And now that I do, I'm going to wonder the same thing every time I hear it. […]

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:56pm
  7. badkitty_ said:

Again not related to your post (… wheeee!), I have a question about your Mac kernel panic.

I have older Macs. Needless to say, they’ve never crashed. There’s been the odd power failure here or there, but that’s it.

I haven’t kept up with newer Apple technology, but since Macs changed chips, and seem to be more Windows compatible, I’ve been more concerned about the Mac OS’s stability. Do you feel it’s been compromised? Do you have a lot of kernel panics?

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:47am
  8. Hissy said:

I think Andy Williams is still alive. You could prolly just ask him about it.

Also, allow me to recover some terrifying childhood memories for you: “Johnny, I’m on the first step….” I’m sure we played it sometime around Christmas at least once or twice.

You’re welcome:)